PHOENIX — Schools in Arizona have already reported a handful of flu cases, the Arizona State Department of Health Services said.
Only about a dozen cases so far this year have been confirmed — most in Maricopa County — but health officials believe that is the tip of the iceberg. Clarisse Tsang with AZDOH said flu season usually peaks in December and January but your child should be vaccinated now. It takes a while for the vaccine to kick in.
“Everyone who is 6 months or older should be vaccinated against the flu,” she said. “It protects you and the people around you.”
Flu season is always a challenge for working parents. Some send sick kids to school and the flu races through a classroom.
“Any place where people are together is a place where flu can spread,” said Tsang. “Anyone with flu symptoms needs to home.”
Last year was the worst flu season in Arizona since the 2009 swine flu scare. There were 11,000 confirmed cases of the flu in Arizona in 2012.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food