PHOENIX — Schools in Arizona have already reported a handful of flu cases, the Arizona State Department of Health Services said.
Only about a dozen cases so far this year have been confirmed — most in Maricopa County — but health officials believe that is the tip of the iceberg. Clarisse Tsang with AZDOH said flu season usually peaks in December and January but your child should be vaccinated now. It takes a while for the vaccine to kick in.
“Everyone who is 6 months or older should be vaccinated against the flu,” she said. “It protects you and the people around you.”
Flu season is always a challenge for working parents. Some send sick kids to school and the flu races through a classroom.
“Any place where people are together is a place where flu can spread,” said Tsang. “Anyone with flu symptoms needs to home.”
Last year was the worst flu season in Arizona since the 2009 swine flu scare. There were 11,000 confirmed cases of the flu in Arizona in 2012.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.