TEMPE, Ariz. — In 2005, a federal study revealed that the U.S. had “virtually no affordable housing for the deaf,” so the federal government helped build Apache ASL Trails in Tempe.
Apache ASL Trails was designed specifically for the hearing impaired. Currently, approximately 90 percent of the 74-unit apartment building has deaf or deaf-blind occupants.
Every unit accommodates wheelchairs, blinking lights to indicate doorbells and when utilities are on and even video phones that let residents “talk” to friends. There is also a large events room where many residents meet daily to sign with each other and watch TV and play games.
But now, the Department of Housing and Urban Development – a federal agency – says Apache ASL Trails violates civil rights law by essentially discriminating against others who do not have a hearing impairment, Fox News reports.
“I think it’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in awhile,” said Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., who has attempted to negotiate the problem.
HUD had threatened to “pull all federal housing aid to Arizona unless it limits the number of hearing-impaired residents to 18 people,” despite funding $2.6 million in 2008 with the complete knowledge that Apache ASL Trails would benefit the hearing impaired.
State housing director Michael Trailor continues to not comply with HUD’s orders and the National Association for the Deaf has also stepped in.
“There is no statute or regulation that mandates any 25 percent quote,” the Association’s CEO Howard Rosenblum wrote in a letter to HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan. Rosenblum, also adding that HUD is forcing the hearing impaired to live in “isolation” and “firetraps.”
It’s been two years that state taxpayers and the apartment’s developer have been battling HUD and there is still no resolution.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths