PHOENIX — A 22-year-old Tucson man was shot early Saturday morning after he was found in bed with a 68-year-old man’s wife at a residence in the Saddlebrooke retirement community north of Tucson.
The Pinal County Sheriff’s Office reported receiving a call at 1 a.m. Saturday morning from an elderly man regarding a shooting. The man told deputies he fell asleep in the main house and woke up with his wife not in bed.
The man said he went into his guest house and found his wife, 63, in bed with Stephen Trevor Chapman of Tucson, who was asleep when he was found.
Authorities said the elderly man told them he poked Chapman with his walking cane to wake him up and send him out of the house. The younger man reportedly became “verbally abusive” toward the older man and eventually charged at him.
The older man told deputies he then fired a “warning shot” at Chapman with a handgun, and the bullet hit a wall and Chapman received a minor injury on his hand.
Sheriff Paul Babeu said, “This was an unusual call for our deputies in an active senior community. Clearly, this young man should have heeded the warnings of the home owner to leave his residence and to stop sleeping with his wife. The young man is lucky that he only got poked with a cane and hit with a stray pellet from the shotgun.”
The sheriff’s office said Chapman was booked into Pinal County Jail for one count of disorderly conduct and that he refused medical treatment for his injury.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths