Loads of unusual products are out there to make life easier and more fun for do-it-yourself experts. You can stuff a couple of them into stockings hanging from the mantle at your house this holiday season:
• A voltage tester to protect the DIY electrician from harm: If the do-it-yourselfer at your house is taking on more and more electrical job, he or she needs a quick way to tell whether the power is really off or not. A noncontact voltage detector can provide that assurance about the outlet, light switch or light fixture that is being worked on. These voltage testers that cost about $20 will chirp or flash when they detect live electricity.
• Show your love for the team: How about a roll of Duck Tape featuring the NFL logo for the Arizona Cardinals? The tape (about $7 for a 10-yardlong, 1.8 inch-wide roll) can decorate scrapbooks and albums or be used on posters and banners. It tears by hand easily. If the Cardinals don’t suit you, there are rolls featuring all your favorite football teams.
• Keep track of the temperature: A mini-infrared thermometer will let you take accurate temperatures of any household surface ranging from minus 26 degrees to plus-1,000 Farenheit or so. It can be used to help find where heated or cooled air is leaking out of your home. Or get a more accurate reading on what the surface temperature is for a boiling pot of fudge or how hot the barbecues or ovens are. The device is battery-powered. Cheaper versions sell for $15 or so, but others cost $80 or more.
• A unique tool for lighting up dark corners of your life: A telescopic LED torch-type light will expand to 30 inches long if needed and also has a magnetic tool on one end that can pick up stray nails and tacks. Use this device to find missing items in murky spots indoors or out. Lots of models are out there ranging in price from $20 to $50.
• Safety glasses with ear protection attached: ReadyMax of California has put out a new line of safety glasses ($25) that feature retractable hearing protection stored in the temple pieces of the glasses until needed. The ear plugs are kept clean and out of sight by flip-up end caps. Lenses are antiscratch and impact resistant.
You’ll also want to make sure your DIYer visits our site for all the DIY tips and information they need. Be sure to bookmark Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted Referral Network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development