PHOENIX — Former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor said Friday she’s ashamed of Arizona because of the state’s poor efforts to fight prostitution.
“We’re really one of the worst in the nation when it comes to the statistics,” she said, referring to the number of prostitutes in Arizona. She said neither the city or the state is doing a good job of controlling the problem.
O’Connor is stumped as to why Arizona seems to be failing.
“I don’t know,” she said. “Maybe it’s because we’re awfully close to the border and it’s easier to smuggle people across. I don’t know, but it really is an embarrassment.”
O’Connor also called on the state legislature to pass tougher laws to combat the problem.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development