MESA, Ariz. — A medical training facility in the East Valley will soon offer 12 veterans scholarships to begin new careers.
Arizona Medical Training Institute President Jim Dillard said veteran unemployment is epidemic and he wants to help do something about it.
“When you transition skill sets from the military into the medical environment that requires multitasking and that level of focus, veterans are ideally suited,” he said. “They have a concentration that very few have that’s ideal for healthcare.”
Beth Calhoun was in the Air Force for 10 years, and was stationed for a time with the 56th Fighter Wing at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale. She said she completely understands what challenges veterans are facing.
“It took me about six months to figure out that my skills didn’t transfer to the outside,” she said. “You don’t know what to do. But I found myself wanting to be in the medical field. I started out in the military as a supply person in logistics, went into military law enforcement. I was also in aircraft supply, which is even more specialized because you don’t have weapons systems on private aircraft.”
Calhoun became a medical lab assistant after completing courses at AZMTI.
AZMTI is offering the scholarships through Nov. 15.
For more information about AZMTI and its programs to help returning veterans, click here
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments