MESA, Ariz. — A medical training facility in the East Valley will soon offer 12 veterans scholarships to begin new careers.
Arizona Medical Training Institute President Jim Dillard said veteran unemployment is epidemic and he wants to help do something about it.
“When you transition skill sets from the military into the medical environment that requires multitasking and that level of focus, veterans are ideally suited,” he said. “They have a concentration that very few have that’s ideal for healthcare.”
Beth Calhoun was in the Air Force for 10 years, and was stationed for a time with the 56th Fighter Wing at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale. She said she completely understands what challenges veterans are facing.
“It took me about six months to figure out that my skills didn’t transfer to the outside,” she said. “You don’t know what to do. But I found myself wanting to be in the medical field. I started out in the military as a supply person in logistics, went into military law enforcement. I was also in aircraft supply, which is even more specialized because you don’t have weapons systems on private aircraft.”
Calhoun became a medical lab assistant after completing courses at AZMTI.
AZMTI is offering the scholarships through Nov. 15.
For more information about AZMTI and its programs to help returning veterans, click here
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck