PHOENIX — Nearly a century of music history is on display at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. The exhibit, “Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power,” looks at the long and tumultuous history of women and music.
Created by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, the exhibit at MIM, which opens Saturday, showcases more than 70 artists ranging from the 1920s to today.
The exhibit, composed of photographs, instruments, original hand-written lyrics and stage outfits along with concert posters and videos, takes the music lover to intimate places of music history, and the women who made them. It runs through April 20.
“Along the way you see increasing control by women who have taken over their careers,” said Cullen Strawn, the museum’s curator. “Moving away from not only being singers, but instrumentalists, songwriters and then taking roles in the music industry itself,” he added.
The exhibit brings to life the history of artists of Billie Holiday, Maybelle Carter, Aretha Franklin and Janis Joplin, Cher, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and Britney Spears, to name a few.
“A lot of musical instruments are on display,” Strawn said. “Outfits, primarily. That’s been an important part of the stage persona that these artists have created.”
One controversial outfit on display is the meat dress Lady Gaga wore during the 2010 Video Music Awards. “Influence beyond having fans. Power to create social change,” Strawn said of the singer/songwriter/performer’s impact.
The exhibit explores decades of creativity and innovation, and includes the roots and evolution of rock and roll, and the birth of disco, punk, and pop.
MIM is also hosting a concert series featuring rockabilly singer Wanda Jackson and Ronnie Spector from the 1960s hit girl group Ronnie and the Ronettes. There will also be an interview series with artists.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development