PHOENIX — On the heels of the 16-day government shutdown, President Barack Obama is renewing his push for comprehensive immigration reform.
U.S. Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) said the president can push all he wants but immigration reform is a dead issue to Gosar and many of Gosar’s fellow GOP members.
“There’s no trust in this administration with everything the President has done. Why would we go through the immigration process to see him do whatever he wants to do?”
In June, after the Senate approved an overhaul of America’s immigration system with strong support from Sen. John McCain and Jeff Flake, Republicans from Arizona, Gosar told local media, “There’s no way in hell I’m voting for that bill.”
KTAR political analyst Mike O’Neil said it is now or never for comprehensive immigration reform. Congress has budget fatigue after the shutdown and this creates an opening for dealing with reform, he said.
“They will come back in January and talk about budget and that will be followed by the 2014 midterm elections and I don’t believe they will touch immigration then,” O’Neil said. “It’s appropriate that the president brought it back to the table, but I don’t know if he can pull it off.”
O’ Neil said a Republican failure to address immigration reform could tag them as the ‘anti-Hispanic party.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon