SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — It looks like two valley mayors will not be meeting in the middle of the street at high noon.
Cave Creek Mayor Vincent Francia showed up at a recent Scottsdale City Council meeting and challenged Mayor Jim Lane to a duel, of sorts.
“Mayor Lane and I would square off in a sort of shootout, so to speak,” Francia said.
He thought it would be a fun way to decide the dispute over which town can call itself the “West’s Most Western Town.”
Scottsdale has used that slogan for 60 years, but Francia said things have changed. While Scottsdale has become a trendy, prime destination, he said it is really Cave Creek that is more like the Old West.
“When our citizens ride into town, they do hitch their horses up to posts and go into bars and restaurants,” said Francia.
Lane has not responded to our requests for comment, but Francia thinks he knows Lane’s answer to his duel request.
“I don’t think it’s going to happen,” Francia said. “I think that the Mayor is politely declining that invitation.”
But Francia isn’t giving up. He’s now suggesting that the two communities stage an annual event.
“They [Scottsdale] would come out to Wild West Days in Cave Creek and enter into a competition,” Francia said. “We [Cave Creek], in turn, would go to Scottsdale – perhaps during Parada Del Sol – and do a competition there.”
Francia would not say what the competition would be, but he thinks that it would draw lots of publicity for both Scottsdale and Cave Creek.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America