SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — It looks like two valley mayors will not be meeting in the middle of the street at high noon.
Cave Creek Mayor Vincent Francia showed up at a recent Scottsdale City Council meeting and challenged Mayor Jim Lane to a duel, of sorts.
“Mayor Lane and I would square off in a sort of shootout, so to speak,” Francia said.
He thought it would be a fun way to decide the dispute over which town can call itself the “West’s Most Western Town.”
Scottsdale has used that slogan for 60 years, but Francia said things have changed. While Scottsdale has become a trendy, prime destination, he said it is really Cave Creek that is more like the Old West.
“When our citizens ride into town, they do hitch their horses up to posts and go into bars and restaurants,” said Francia.
Lane has not responded to our requests for comment, but Francia thinks he knows Lane’s answer to his duel request.
“I don’t think it’s going to happen,” Francia said. “I think that the Mayor is politely declining that invitation.”
But Francia isn’t giving up. He’s now suggesting that the two communities stage an annual event.
“They [Scottsdale] would come out to Wild West Days in Cave Creek and enter into a competition,” Francia said. “We [Cave Creek], in turn, would go to Scottsdale – perhaps during Parada Del Sol – and do a competition there.”
Francia would not say what the competition would be, but he thinks that it would draw lots of publicity for both Scottsdale and Cave Creek.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments