SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — It looks like two valley mayors will not be meeting in the middle of the street at high noon.
Cave Creek Mayor Vincent Francia showed up at a recent Scottsdale City Council meeting and challenged Mayor Jim Lane to a duel, of sorts.
“Mayor Lane and I would square off in a sort of shootout, so to speak,” Francia said.
He thought it would be a fun way to decide the dispute over which town can call itself the “West’s Most Western Town.”
Scottsdale has used that slogan for 60 years, but Francia said things have changed. While Scottsdale has become a trendy, prime destination, he said it is really Cave Creek that is more like the Old West.
“When our citizens ride into town, they do hitch their horses up to posts and go into bars and restaurants,” said Francia.
Lane has not responded to our requests for comment, but Francia thinks he knows Lane’s answer to his duel request.
“I don’t think it’s going to happen,” Francia said. “I think that the Mayor is politely declining that invitation.”
But Francia isn’t giving up. He’s now suggesting that the two communities stage an annual event.
“They [Scottsdale] would come out to Wild West Days in Cave Creek and enter into a competition,” Francia said. “We [Cave Creek], in turn, would go to Scottsdale – perhaps during Parada Del Sol – and do a competition there.”
Francia would not say what the competition would be, but he thinks that it would draw lots of publicity for both Scottsdale and Cave Creek.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night