TEMPE, Ariz. — People are lining up for Steakburgers and milkshakes in Tempe.
Fast food chain Steak ‘n Shake opened its new location near Mill Avenue and University Drive on Thursday.
It is the Indianapolis-based chain’s first location in the state. General Manager Kirk O’Keefe said the company is expanding in the west.
“Arizona seemed to be the perfect spot,” O’Keefe said. “There’s so many people from the Midwest here that Steak N’ Shake already had a following.”
A lot of customers were excited about this morning’s opening.
“We had people starting to line up around 4:30 a.m.,” O’Keefe said. “By the time we unlocked the doors at 10 a.m., we had over 150 people in the line, which was going down the block.”
The first 100 customers got free Steak ‘n Shake meals for the next year.
By noon, the line had thinned out, but there was still at least a five-minute wait to get in. One of those in line was Jessica Austin, who was a regular Steak ‘n Shake customer when she lived in the Midwest.
“I’m very accustomed to Stake ‘n Shake. I love them,” Austin said. “I have a feeling it’s going to be just as good here. I’m really super-excited.”
O’Keefe said the company hopes to open other Arizona locations, but no deals have been finalized.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon