PHOENIX — A recent study reveals a new combination of drugs is showing promise in fighting pancreatic cancer.
Led by Scottsdale Healthcare and Translations Genomics Research Institute in Phoenix, the study reveals that pancreatic cancer patients who used both Gemcitabine and Abraxane were 59 percent more likely to increase their survival by over a year, compared to those who received only Gemcitabine. According to the same study, twice as many of the patients lived for more than two years.
Abraxane has been available for use in breast and lung cancer cases. The FDA recently approved it for use against pancreatic cancer.
Researchers still are not sure exactly how Abraxane works, but they say it has a protein that gets inside tumors and may act as a “Trojan Horse” to release chemotherapy and kill cancer cells.
Valley resident Pam Ryan believes it is working for her.
“On Nov. 10, 2012, I was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to my liver,” Ryan explained.
One doctor didn’t give her much hope.
“The oncologist at the diagnosing hospital was pulling my family out into the hall and saying that I might only have three weeks,” said Ryan. “This was November of 2012, and now I’m talking to you in October of 2013.”
Ryan was one of the patients in the study and says she is now living life to the fullest.
“I feel great. I did my yoga class this morning, and I play golf,” Ryan said.
She even got a rare, but lucky, hole-in-one back on June 17.
“I would say that it [the drug combination] has definitely extended my life, and I really appreciate that,” she said.
The study has been published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon