PHOENIX — A Gilbert grandmother was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of planting several baggies of cocaine on her 9-year-old granddaughter.
San Juanita Carbajal was arrested after a school resource officer at Pioneer Elementary School found four grams of the drug.
It is believed that Carbajal was attempting to get the girl’s father into legal trouble so she could take more custody of the child.
“Unfortunately, this 9-year-old girl got drug into the middle of it to try to accomplish the goals of an adult,” said Gilbert Police Lt. John Lyle.
Police said it is also believed that Carbajal told the girl to give one baggie to school officials and a few others to place in the father’s vehicle for police to find.
The girl’s mother lives out-of-state. Police do not know the relationship between her and the child’s father.
Carbajal was arrested on charges of child abuse. It is unclear if she will face drug charges as well.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain