PHOENIX — A Gilbert grandmother was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of planting several baggies of cocaine on her 9-year-old granddaughter.
San Juanita Carbajal was arrested after a school resource officer at Pioneer Elementary School found four grams of the drug.
It is believed that Carbajal was attempting to get the girl’s father into legal trouble so she could take more custody of the child.
“Unfortunately, this 9-year-old girl got drug into the middle of it to try to accomplish the goals of an adult,” said Gilbert Police Lt. John Lyle.
Police said it is also believed that Carbajal told the girl to give one baggie to school officials and a few others to place in the father’s vehicle for police to find.
The girl’s mother lives out-of-state. Police do not know the relationship between her and the child’s father.
Carbajal was arrested on charges of child abuse. It is unclear if she will face drug charges as well.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.