PHOENIX — A Gilbert grandmother was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of planting several baggies of cocaine on her 9-year-old granddaughter.
San Juanita Carbajal was arrested after a school resource officer at Pioneer Elementary School found four grams of the drug.
It is believed that Carbajal was attempting to get the girl’s father into legal trouble so she could take more custody of the child.
“Unfortunately, this 9-year-old girl got drug into the middle of it to try to accomplish the goals of an adult,” said Gilbert Police Lt. John Lyle.
Police said it is also believed that Carbajal told the girl to give one baggie to school officials and a few others to place in the father’s vehicle for police to find.
The girl’s mother lives out-of-state. Police do not know the relationship between her and the child’s father.
Carbajal was arrested on charges of child abuse. It is unclear if she will face drug charges as well.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development