PHOENIX — State and county authorities Wednesday accused a recycling company with salvage yards in Phoenix, Coolidge and Tucson of buying stolen cars for the scrap metal.
More than 12 people had been arrested as part of Operation Tin Man, which focused on Hendrix and Co. Recycling, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
“They provided opportunities for people that steal cars to dispose of those vehicles,” DPS Capt. Bruce Campbell said.
Authorities said they served 15 warrants at salvage yards owned by Hendrix.
“If you’ve got stolen silverware, people know where the crooked pawn shops might be,” Campbell said. “Same thing with recyclables and salvage yards.”
Robert Halliday, director of DPS, said charges will include trafficking stolen property, fraudulent schemes, money laundering, conspiracy and operation of a criminal enterprise.
There was no answer late Wednesday afternoon at Hendrix and Co. Recycling’s office in Phoenix. A message said the voicemail was full.
The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, Arizona Attorney General’s Office and the Pinal County Attorney’s Office have been working on the case for 15 months.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development