PHOENIX — State and county authorities Wednesday accused a recycling company with salvage yards in Phoenix, Coolidge and Tucson of buying stolen cars for the scrap metal.
More than 12 people had been arrested as part of Operation Tin Man, which focused on Hendrix and Co. Recycling, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
“They provided opportunities for people that steal cars to dispose of those vehicles,” DPS Capt. Bruce Campbell said.
Authorities said they served 15 warrants at salvage yards owned by Hendrix.
“If you’ve got stolen silverware, people know where the crooked pawn shops might be,” Campbell said. “Same thing with recyclables and salvage yards.”
Robert Halliday, director of DPS, said charges will include trafficking stolen property, fraudulent schemes, money laundering, conspiracy and operation of a criminal enterprise.
There was no answer late Wednesday afternoon at Hendrix and Co. Recycling’s office in Phoenix. A message said the voicemail was full.
The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, Arizona Attorney General’s Office and the Pinal County Attorney’s Office have been working on the case for 15 months.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier