MESA, Ariz. — The Arizona Museum For Youth is getting a financial boost and it couldn’t come at a better time.
The museum is changing its name next year to the I.D.E.A. Museum. The acronym stands for “Imagination. Design. Experience. Art.” It hopes to bring art and science exhibits to help kids think outside the box to solve local and global problems.
When he heard that the museum needed money for the project, former Empire Machinery CEO John Whiteman decided to donate $100,000.
“I just couldn’t see them getting the rocket off of the launch pad with no fuel in the rocket,” he said. “They had a great plan, they had a great rocket and they had a great north star they wanted to go to.”
But they didn’t have the money to get there.
Whiteman promised to make the donation on the condition that the city of Mesa match it, which it agreed to. The museum is about to start an online campaign to raise another $100,000 from the public. The details of the campaign have not yet been announced.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon