MESA, Ariz. — The Arizona Museum For Youth is getting a financial boost and it couldn’t come at a better time.
The museum is changing its name next year to the I.D.E.A. Museum. The acronym stands for “Imagination. Design. Experience. Art.” It hopes to bring art and science exhibits to help kids think outside the box to solve local and global problems.
When he heard that the museum needed money for the project, former Empire Machinery CEO John Whiteman decided to donate $100,000.
“I just couldn’t see them getting the rocket off of the launch pad with no fuel in the rocket,” he said. “They had a great plan, they had a great rocket and they had a great north star they wanted to go to.”
But they didn’t have the money to get there.
Whiteman promised to make the donation on the condition that the city of Mesa match it, which it agreed to. The museum is about to start an online campaign to raise another $100,000 from the public. The details of the campaign have not yet been announced.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas