MESA, Ariz. — The Arizona Museum For Youth is getting a financial boost and it couldn’t come at a better time.
The museum is changing its name next year to the I.D.E.A. Museum. The acronym stands for “Imagination. Design. Experience. Art.” It hopes to bring art and science exhibits to help kids think outside the box to solve local and global problems.
When he heard that the museum needed money for the project, former Empire Machinery CEO John Whiteman decided to donate $100,000.
“I just couldn’t see them getting the rocket off of the launch pad with no fuel in the rocket,” he said. “They had a great plan, they had a great rocket and they had a great north star they wanted to go to.”
But they didn’t have the money to get there.
Whiteman promised to make the donation on the condition that the city of Mesa match it, which it agreed to. The museum is about to start an online campaign to raise another $100,000 from the public. The details of the campaign have not yet been announced.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night