Editor’s note: This statement from Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick was released Wednesday after the Senate passed a bill that would both end the government shutdown and raise the debt ceiling.
It has not been altered in any way.
“I look forward to a bipartisan vote tonight to finally reopen the government and to avert a debt-ceiling default. And while I hope this signals the end of recklessness and the start of responsible leadership, there is reason to be deeply concerned. With just a few months until the next budget and debt-ceiling deadlines, this Congress is flailing from crisis to crisis – with barely a stitch of common sense or concern about the economic damage.
“The shutdown’s direct hit on my Arizona district cost us millions of dollars, with a brief reopening of the Grand Canyon providing the only relief. But District One has 11 other national parks and monuments. They all were closed. We have seven national forests — all were closed. Our 12 Native American tribes lost critical funds for schools, health services and domestic violence resources. Federal workers were stuck at home without paychecks. Veterans and seniors endured weeks of uncertainty about Social Security or disability benefits. All of our communities suffered greatly.
“Ultimately, the ‘leaders’ who planned, plotted and voted to shut down the government achieved nothing — except great harm. As we pick up the pieces and move forward, I repeat my call for leadership over gamesmanship. For bipartisanship over brinksmanship. The American people sent us here to get something done, so let’s get this House in order and get back to work.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food