Editor’s note: This statement from Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick was released Wednesday after the Senate passed a bill that would both end the government shutdown and raise the debt ceiling.
It has not been altered in any way.
“I look forward to a bipartisan vote tonight to finally reopen the government and to avert a debt-ceiling default. And while I hope this signals the end of recklessness and the start of responsible leadership, there is reason to be deeply concerned. With just a few months until the next budget and debt-ceiling deadlines, this Congress is flailing from crisis to crisis – with barely a stitch of common sense or concern about the economic damage.
“The shutdown’s direct hit on my Arizona district cost us millions of dollars, with a brief reopening of the Grand Canyon providing the only relief. But District One has 11 other national parks and monuments. They all were closed. We have seven national forests — all were closed. Our 12 Native American tribes lost critical funds for schools, health services and domestic violence resources. Federal workers were stuck at home without paychecks. Veterans and seniors endured weeks of uncertainty about Social Security or disability benefits. All of our communities suffered greatly.
“Ultimately, the ‘leaders’ who planned, plotted and voted to shut down the government achieved nothing — except great harm. As we pick up the pieces and move forward, I repeat my call for leadership over gamesmanship. For bipartisanship over brinksmanship. The American people sent us here to get something done, so let’s get this House in order and get back to work.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths