PHOENIX — Shortly after Senate leaders announced Wednesday that a bipartisan compromise had been reached on the debt limit and federal shutdown, U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake said hopefully both sides have learned something from the crisis.
“The shutdown was bad enough. It was needless and you don’t save money with a shutdown. It’s a recognition that Congress isn’t working very well,” said Flake (R-Ariz.).
The government last shut down in late 1995.
“Too many people in Congress didn’t apparently remember what it was like and I think it will be a long time until this happens again.’ ”
Earlier, Flake had tweeted:
Having exhausted all alternatives, today looks to be the day we do the right thing and end the shutdown.
— Jeff Flake (@JeffFlake) October 16, 2013
Flake said the deal, which will have to be hurriedly voted on later in the day by the House, “… is something good here for fiscal conservatives. The maintenance of the budget control act and the sequester. That represents significant savings and has for the past two years.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths