PHOENIX — Shortly after Senate leaders announced Wednesday that a bipartisan compromise had been reached on the debt limit and federal shutdown, U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake said hopefully both sides have learned something from the crisis.
“The shutdown was bad enough. It was needless and you don’t save money with a shutdown. It’s a recognition that Congress isn’t working very well,” said Flake (R-Ariz.).
The government last shut down in late 1995.
“Too many people in Congress didn’t apparently remember what it was like and I think it will be a long time until this happens again.’ ”
Earlier, Flake had tweeted:
Having exhausted all alternatives, today looks to be the day we do the right thing and end the shutdown.
— Jeff Flake (@JeffFlake) October 16, 2013
Flake said the deal, which will have to be hurriedly voted on later in the day by the House, “… is something good here for fiscal conservatives. The maintenance of the budget control act and the sequester. That represents significant savings and has for the past two years.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food