PHOENIX — Over the past two decades, thousands of underprivileged local children have stepped aboard their very first airplane ride to head to the North Pole.
In Phoenix, Capt. Bob Miller has flown the 45-minute
United Fantasy Flights out of Sky Harbor, across Valley skies, and back to Terminal Two on another side of the airport.
The children step off to find Santa, his reindeer, and a whole bunch of other surprises waiting for them.
While the children may be more excited to see St. Nick, Miller is excited to see the children inspired.
“They get to learn that there’s a big wide world out there on a real airplane, a real jet liner, and see the world from a different perspective,” he said.
Over the years, Fantasy Flight has raised enough money to send the children back to school with fond memories and high hopes.
Recently, “We bought 40 e-Kindle readers for Concordia Charter school because they’re lacking in technology,” Miller said. “and, when the kids are lacking in technology, they’re left behind.”
The next Fantasy Flight takes off Dec. 6. While there are hundreds of volunteers who make it happen every year, Miller said there are costs for fuel, food, and school supplies.
To meet those needs, Miller and the crew will hold a fundraiser Oct. 17 at My Wine Cellar, from 6 to 7 p.m. Cost is $25 for wine and food. The shop is located at 5030 E. Warner Road in southeast Phoenix.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy