PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has decided to fund the Grand Canyon National Park for an additional nine days while the government continues to be shutdown.
“Grand Canyon’s importance to Arizona’s tourism industry and overall economy cannot be ignored,” said Gov. Brewer in a statement Wednesday. “While I am pleased the state is able to ensure the Canyon remains open during this critical season, it is well past time for the federal government to end this shutdown and pay its bills.”
The agreement Brewer struck last week with the National Park Service to pay to
keep the park open was set to expire Friday night. The deal required Brewer to give the
park two days notice to remain open.
Brewer said the state wired $837,000 to the federal government and the park will be open through at least Oct. 27.
“If they come to a resolution, the money we’ve wired the feds today to keep the canyon open for an additional nine days will be returned to Arizona taxpayers,” she said.
Arizona is paying $93,000 a day to keep the canyon open during the government
Businesses that rely on the canyon for tourist dollars were hurt during the 11-
day closure that ended Saturday morning. Brewer is using money from the state
Office of Tourism, the town of Tusayan and businesses to pay for park
Arizona national park visitors have spent an average of $2.5 million a day during October in the past, about half of that at Grand Canyon National Park.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets