A Circle K security officer in Glendale was shot by a suspected shoplifter Tuesday evening. It happened around 6:30 p.m. near 59th Ave. and Camelback Rd.
The guard was taken to the hospital and was being treated for at least one gunshot wound.
Glendale Police Sergeant Jay O’Neil said the suspect and security guard, who was not in a uniform, began fighting after the officer confronted him for shoplifting.
“At some point during the struggle, the suspect produced a weapon.” said O’Neil. “He fired several rounds at the security guard and struck him at least one time.”
A second, uniformed security guard was called prior to the struggle.
The uniformed guard was able to use his Taser on the suspect, who then attacked with a knife. The suspect also assaulted the plain-clothes guard.
O’Neil described the suspect as a Hispanic male in his late 30’s to early 40’s; 5-foot-5 around 150 lbs. with short, dark hair. He was last seen wearing a charcoal colored shirt that was unbuttoned, long gray shorts and white tennis shoes.
The uniformed guard received both a bullet and knife wound. The other received minor injuries. None were life-threatening.
Glendale Police called this a sad reminder of how dangerous a shoplifting situation can be and warned residents to call 911 if they witness a shoplifting rather than get involved in a potentially life threatening situation.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier