A Circle K security officer in Glendale was shot by a suspected shoplifter Tuesday evening. It happened around 6:30 p.m. near 59th Ave. and Camelback Rd.
The guard was taken to the hospital and was being treated for at least one gunshot wound.
Glendale Police Sergeant Jay O’Neil said the suspect and security guard, who was not in a uniform, began fighting after the officer confronted him for shoplifting.
“At some point during the struggle, the suspect produced a weapon.” said O’Neil. “He fired several rounds at the security guard and struck him at least one time.”
A second, uniformed security guard was called prior to the struggle.
The uniformed guard was able to use his Taser on the suspect, who then attacked with a knife. The suspect also assaulted the plain-clothes guard.
O’Neil described the suspect as a Hispanic male in his late 30’s to early 40’s; 5-foot-5 around 150 lbs. with short, dark hair. He was last seen wearing a charcoal colored shirt that was unbuttoned, long gray shorts and white tennis shoes.
The uniformed guard received both a bullet and knife wound. The other received minor injuries. None were life-threatening.
Glendale Police called this a sad reminder of how dangerous a shoplifting situation can be and warned residents to call 911 if they witness a shoplifting rather than get involved in a potentially life threatening situation.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night