A Circle K security officer in Glendale was shot by a suspected shoplifter Tuesday evening. It happened around 6:30 p.m. near 59th Ave. and Camelback Rd.
The guard was taken to the hospital and was being treated for at least one gunshot wound.
Glendale Police Sergeant Jay O’Neil said the suspect and security guard, who was not in a uniform, began fighting after the officer confronted him for shoplifting.
“At some point during the struggle, the suspect produced a weapon.” said O’Neil. “He fired several rounds at the security guard and struck him at least one time.”
A second, uniformed security guard was called prior to the struggle.
The uniformed guard was able to use his Taser on the suspect, who then attacked with a knife. The suspect also assaulted the plain-clothes guard.
O’Neil described the suspect as a Hispanic male in his late 30’s to early 40’s; 5-foot-5 around 150 lbs. with short, dark hair. He was last seen wearing a charcoal colored shirt that was unbuttoned, long gray shorts and white tennis shoes.
The uniformed guard received both a bullet and knife wound. The other received minor injuries. None were life-threatening.
Glendale Police called this a sad reminder of how dangerous a shoplifting situation can be and warned residents to call 911 if they witness a shoplifting rather than get involved in a potentially life threatening situation.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development