A Circle K security officer in Glendale was shot by a suspected shoplifter Tuesday evening. It happened around 6:30 p.m. near 59th Ave. and Camelback Rd.
The guard was taken to the hospital and was being treated for at least one gunshot wound.
Glendale Police Sergeant Jay O’Neil said the suspect and security guard, who was not in a uniform, began fighting after the officer confronted him for shoplifting.
“At some point during the struggle, the suspect produced a weapon.” said O’Neil. “He fired several rounds at the security guard and struck him at least one time.”
A second, uniformed security guard was called prior to the struggle.
The uniformed guard was able to use his Taser on the suspect, who then attacked with a knife. The suspect also assaulted the plain-clothes guard.
O’Neil described the suspect as a Hispanic male in his late 30’s to early 40’s; 5-foot-5 around 150 lbs. with short, dark hair. He was last seen wearing a charcoal colored shirt that was unbuttoned, long gray shorts and white tennis shoes.
The uniformed guard received both a bullet and knife wound. The other received minor injuries. None were life-threatening.
Glendale Police called this a sad reminder of how dangerous a shoplifting situation can be and warned residents to call 911 if they witness a shoplifting rather than get involved in a potentially life threatening situation.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them