PHOENIX — The ongoing failure to reach an agreement that would end the federal shutdown has House Republicans from Arizona wishing for a different Democrat in the White House.
U.S. Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) said former President Bill Clinton was always talking with people and understood what it took to get everyone to the table.
“It wasn’t just his way only. What you saw was a compromise that saw deficits reduced and a new type of energy to our economy. What we have now is a president that hasn’t been a businessman, who hasn’t signed the front end of a check. It’s all about him and not the American public.”
U.S. Rep Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) was in Congress in the mid-1990s during the last government shutdown and said Clinton rolled up his sleeves during those three weeks and met with House and Senate members.
“Clinton was at the table every day with congressional leaders. This president is AWOL. He is nowhere to be found and has relegated all authority for being commander in chief to Sen. Harry Reid.”
Tuesday, President Obama was at the White House to present an Army veteran with a Medal of Honor.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments