PHOENIX — Over two dozen World War II veterans flew out of Sky Harbor on Tuesday to visit the memorial dedicated to their service.
The nonprofit organization Honor Flight sent the 29 veterans to the memorial in Washington free of charge.
Judd Lotts was on the flight. He served in the Navy from 1942 to 1945.
“This is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me as a veteran,” he said. “I’ve never been catered to or thought of, and this is something to have this come up.”
Honor Flight has been sending World War II vets to the capitol since 2005.
“What they see when they travel are people coming up to them saying, ‘Thank you so much for your service,’ ” said Susan Howe, founder of Honor Flight Arizona. “They see an appreciation for America that they haven’t seen or heard for a while.”
The memorial, which operates under the National Park Service, is closed to the public because of the government shutdown. Howe said they received special permits to remove the barriers, and let the men walk through.
Earlier this week, a large crowd moved aside the barriers to allow veterans inside to see the memorial.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick