PHOENIX — Over two dozen World War II veterans flew out of Sky Harbor on Tuesday to visit the memorial dedicated to their service.
The nonprofit organization Honor Flight sent the 29 veterans to the memorial in Washington free of charge.
Judd Lotts was on the flight. He served in the Navy from 1942 to 1945.
“This is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me as a veteran,” he said. “I’ve never been catered to or thought of, and this is something to have this come up.”
Honor Flight has been sending World War II vets to the capitol since 2005.
“What they see when they travel are people coming up to them saying, ‘Thank you so much for your service,’ ” said Susan Howe, founder of Honor Flight Arizona. “They see an appreciation for America that they haven’t seen or heard for a while.”
The memorial, which operates under the National Park Service, is closed to the public because of the government shutdown. Howe said they received special permits to remove the barriers, and let the men walk through.
Earlier this week, a large crowd moved aside the barriers to allow veterans inside to see the memorial.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns