SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — After 20 years of selling furniture that goes into lobbies and waiting rooms, Jeffrey Isquith is now selling bullet-resistant material to go inside furniture.
He said his material meets national body armor standards.
“The barrier material is in the frame of the chair,” Isquith said. “And it doesn’t affect the look of the chair, it doesn’t affect the comfort of the chair when you’re sitting in it.”
Isquith said he the idea for Scottsdale-based Ballistic Furniture Systems came after a string of mass shootings in public places.
“I was concerned like everyone else and started thinking, ‘Wow, these shootings are taking place in environments that I work in.'”
Isquith said most people don’t automatically run to the exit when someone opens fire.
“What happens is, nine times out of ten, they freeze up, they drop to the floor and get behind some type of structure.”
From government buildings to hospitals and houses of worship, Isquith said there are plenty of potential customers. He is currently talking with manufacturers and predicts some people could be sitting in bullet-resistant furniture by next summer.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck