PHOENIX — If you plan to travel for Thanksgiving and haven’t already booked your airline ticket, good luck finding a seat or a bargain.
KTAR travel expert Kari Mollan said airfares will be up by about 15 percent from last Thanksgiving and the only shot you have of finding a bargain is if you’re willing to travel on Thanksgiving morning.
“If you don’t mind taking a red-eye, look at the flights that leave at 1 [a.m.],” she said. “This is a great time to cash in frequent flyer miles.”
Mollan said travelers won’t be catching a break on prices over Christmas.
“With the holiday landing smack dab in the middle of the week this year, a lot of people are flying Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday and that is making it a challenge to find available seats.”
Mollan said there’s not a major reason, such as a war or even the government shutdown, for the ticket hikes. The airlines have a much simpler motivation.
“Because they can. People are feeling better about the economy and they want to travel and the airlines will charge a premium. Granted they will use the excuse that they’re losing money but they are making a considerable profit.”
Mollan said one of the best bargains out there right now is a cruise vacation.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food