PHOENIX — If you plan to travel for Thanksgiving and haven’t already booked your airline ticket, good luck finding a seat or a bargain.
KTAR travel expert Kari Mollan said airfares will be up by about 15 percent from last Thanksgiving and the only shot you have of finding a bargain is if you’re willing to travel on Thanksgiving morning.
“If you don’t mind taking a red-eye, look at the flights that leave at 1 [a.m.],” she said. “This is a great time to cash in frequent flyer miles.”
Mollan said travelers won’t be catching a break on prices over Christmas.
“With the holiday landing smack dab in the middle of the week this year, a lot of people are flying Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday and that is making it a challenge to find available seats.”
Mollan said there’s not a major reason, such as a war or even the government shutdown, for the ticket hikes. The airlines have a much simpler motivation.
“Because they can. People are feeling better about the economy and they want to travel and the airlines will charge a premium. Granted they will use the excuse that they’re losing money but they are making a considerable profit.”
Mollan said one of the best bargains out there right now is a cruise vacation.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development