PHOENIX — A continued government shutdown could start a chain reaction of border agents leaving for other work.
Shawn Moran, vice president of with the National Border Patrol Council, which represents 17,000 agents and support staff, said many agents are struggling without a paycheck.
The federal government has been operating on a partial shutdown for two weeks. Border agents are still on the job, as are TSA employees.
He said the border patrol has never been aggressive about retention, and other law enforcement agencies capitalize on that.
“The Border Patrol has never been good about holding on to its people. Other agencies come in and recruit the agents because they’re know for getting the job done. At some point you can only take so much and people go on and look for greener pastures.
“Our newer agents live paycheck to paycheck and can’t afford a disruption like this. A lot of the agents are former military with families looking to start a career and shutdown without pay) doesn’t make it any easier.”
Moran said agents are also concerned whether their families will receive benefits if they’re killed in the line of duty.
“I know Congress had to take action to help the military out. We’re here fighting at home and if one of our agents dies in the line of duty we want to make sure the family is still taken care of. That is in the back of a lot of agents’ minds and just one more thing to worry about with this job,” Moran said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food