PHOENIX — Since opening College Depot at Burton Barr Central Library four years ago, staff members said they have helped more than 12,000 people with the college- planning process.
“We’ve got a 2,400 square-foot facility equipped with ten desktop computers and a full staff providing assistance six days a week,” said director Judy Reno.
Reno said the staff helps students and parents search for information on colleges, scholarships and financial aid. The depot also holds monthly workshops on topics such as how to fill out a college application or write a powerful scholarship essay. Assistance is available at no charge.
“What we get is an opportunity for more first generation college students to achieve their educational dreams and then get more prosperous jobs in the future,” Reno said. “It’s really great for our economic development.”
Demand is so high that Phoenix is expanding the services to four more branches this week:
• Cholla Library, 10050 Metro Parkway East,
Monday, Oct. 14, 11:30 a.m.
• Cesar Chavez Library, 3635 W. Baseline Road,
Tuesday, Oct. 15, 1:30 p.m.
• South Mountain Community Library, 7050 W. 24th St.,
Wednesday, Oct. 16, 10 a.m.
• Palo Verde Library, 4402 N. 51st Ave.,
Thursday, Oct. 17, 1 p.m.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon