PHOENIX — Since opening College Depot at Burton Barr Central Library four years ago, staff members said they have helped more than 12,000 people with the college- planning process.
“We’ve got a 2,400 square-foot facility equipped with ten desktop computers and a full staff providing assistance six days a week,” said director Judy Reno.
Reno said the staff helps students and parents search for information on colleges, scholarships and financial aid. The depot also holds monthly workshops on topics such as how to fill out a college application or write a powerful scholarship essay. Assistance is available at no charge.
“What we get is an opportunity for more first generation college students to achieve their educational dreams and then get more prosperous jobs in the future,” Reno said. “It’s really great for our economic development.”
Demand is so high that Phoenix is expanding the services to four more branches this week:
• Cholla Library, 10050 Metro Parkway East,
Monday, Oct. 14, 11:30 a.m.
• Cesar Chavez Library, 3635 W. Baseline Road,
Tuesday, Oct. 15, 1:30 p.m.
• South Mountain Community Library, 7050 W. 24th St.,
Wednesday, Oct. 16, 10 a.m.
• Palo Verde Library, 4402 N. 51st Ave.,
Thursday, Oct. 17, 1 p.m.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier