PHOENIX — Since opening College Depot at Burton Barr Central Library four years ago, staff members said they have helped more than 12,000 people with the college- planning process.
“We’ve got a 2,400 square-foot facility equipped with ten desktop computers and a full staff providing assistance six days a week,” said director Judy Reno.
Reno said the staff helps students and parents search for information on colleges, scholarships and financial aid. The depot also holds monthly workshops on topics such as how to fill out a college application or write a powerful scholarship essay. Assistance is available at no charge.
“What we get is an opportunity for more first generation college students to achieve their educational dreams and then get more prosperous jobs in the future,” Reno said. “It’s really great for our economic development.”
Demand is so high that Phoenix is expanding the services to four more branches this week:
• Cholla Library, 10050 Metro Parkway East,
Monday, Oct. 14, 11:30 a.m.
• Cesar Chavez Library, 3635 W. Baseline Road,
Tuesday, Oct. 15, 1:30 p.m.
• South Mountain Community Library, 7050 W. 24th St.,
Wednesday, Oct. 16, 10 a.m.
• Palo Verde Library, 4402 N. 51st Ave.,
Thursday, Oct. 17, 1 p.m.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night