In response to the reopening of Grand Canyon National Park Saturday, Arizona Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake issued a joint statement praising state governor Jan Brewer for her work in the matter.
“We are pleased that Secretary Jewell and Governor Brewer have reached an agreement to reopen the Grand Canyon National Park using donated funds. It makes no sense for Washington’s dysfunction to continue hurting Arizonans whose livelihoods depend on Park tourism. We strongly encourage the thousands of visitors who intended to travel to the Grand Canyon this Columbus Day weekend to keep their vacation plans and enjoy this remarkable national treasure.”
Arizona agreed to the Obama administration’s proposal, which requires states to account for the expenses required to operate the national parks while the federal government remains shut down.
Brewer and state personnel opted in to the agreement, prizing tourism money over operating costs.
Arizona will pay Park Service $651,000 to keep Grand Canyon National Park open for seven days.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon