In response to the reopening of Grand Canyon National Park Saturday, Arizona Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake issued a joint statement praising state governor Jan Brewer for her work in the matter.
“We are pleased that Secretary Jewell and Governor Brewer have reached an agreement to reopen the Grand Canyon National Park using donated funds. It makes no sense for Washington’s dysfunction to continue hurting Arizonans whose livelihoods depend on Park tourism. We strongly encourage the thousands of visitors who intended to travel to the Grand Canyon this Columbus Day weekend to keep their vacation plans and enjoy this remarkable national treasure.”
Arizona agreed to the Obama administration’s proposal, which requires states to account for the expenses required to operate the national parks while the federal government remains shut down.
Brewer and state personnel opted in to the agreement, prizing tourism money over operating costs.
Arizona will pay Park Service $651,000 to keep Grand Canyon National Park open for seven days.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas