PHOENIX — Arizona Republican Congressman David Schweikert believes there will be a deal in place to extend the debt ceiling by late next week.
“We will have an extension on the debt ceiling and the mechanics probably done and passed on funding the government and an agreement on how we’re going to deal with our appropriations bills for the rest of the year,” he said. “Everyone is now trying to be as polite as possible and inch toward negotiation.”
That being said, Schweikert is among the Republicans who believe President Barack Obama needlessly made the shutdown as painful as possible.
“You have to realize how far this White House has been willing to go in making their argument and as painfully as possible,” he said. “Look what they did to veterans. This will become an item for investigation over the next couple of months on what laws were broken and why the White House felt they needed to punish the American people.”
Arizona Republican Congressman Matt Salmon agrees with Schweikert that the Obama administration wanted to inflict as much pain as possible. Salmon pointed to vantage points at the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell being off-limits to visitors as an example. Many of them are international visitors who may never get the chance to see the canyon again.
“They wanted to extract their pound of flesh,” he said. “It seems this administration is biting off its nose to spite its face. It’s very critical to get the Grand Canyon reopened. We’ve provided many opportunities for the canyon to be reopened and the president has stood in the way of every proposal.”
President Barack Obama met with top leaders from both the House and Senate Friday to discuss the debt ceiling and government shutdown.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy