PHOENIX — Arizona Republican Congressman David Schweikert believes there will be a deal in place to extend the debt ceiling by late next week.
“We will have an extension on the debt ceiling and the mechanics probably done and passed on funding the government and an agreement on how we’re going to deal with our appropriations bills for the rest of the year,” he said. “Everyone is now trying to be as polite as possible and inch toward negotiation.”
That being said, Schweikert is among the Republicans who believe President Barack Obama needlessly made the shutdown as painful as possible.
“You have to realize how far this White House has been willing to go in making their argument and as painfully as possible,” he said. “Look what they did to veterans. This will become an item for investigation over the next couple of months on what laws were broken and why the White House felt they needed to punish the American people.”
Arizona Republican Congressman Matt Salmon agrees with Schweikert that the Obama administration wanted to inflict as much pain as possible. Salmon pointed to vantage points at the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell being off-limits to visitors as an example. Many of them are international visitors who may never get the chance to see the canyon again.
“They wanted to extract their pound of flesh,” he said. “It seems this administration is biting off its nose to spite its face. It’s very critical to get the Grand Canyon reopened. We’ve provided many opportunities for the canyon to be reopened and the president has stood in the way of every proposal.”
President Barack Obama met with top leaders from both the House and Senate Friday to discuss the debt ceiling and government shutdown.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas