PHOENIX — Scammers have wasted no time in trying to take advantage of consumers who may not be informed about the Affordable Care Act, warned Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne on Friday.
Several reports of fake websites and attempts to steal consumer’s personal information have been reported across the country, but none yet Arizona, Horne said.
“We do have reports of people engaging in fraud by trying to sell cards for Obamacare, which doesn’t really exist,” Horne said.
The idea behind the scam is to gather people’s personal information such as Social Security Numbers and date of birth in order to eventually try to steal money.
To avoid becoming a victim, the Arizona Attorney General’s Office has outlined three important things to know:
• Seniors who receive Medicare are not affected by Obamacare and do not need to sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.
• Never pay for help. Legitimate organizations do not charge to help people navigate the marketplace. In Arizona, four groups have received grants to provide “navigators,” who can answer questions and help prepare applications. Arizona Association of Community Health Centers, Greater Phoenix Urban League, the University of Arizona’s Center for Rural Health, and Campesinos Sin Fronteras.
• Protect your personal information. Don’t give out your Social Security Number, financial information or date of birth.
To learn more about the marketplace options, go to the federal government’s official website, or call 1-800-318-2596 (TTY 1-855-889-4325).
To report scams, go to the state attorney general’s website.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier