PHOENIX — For the first time since the federal government’s partial shutdown began nearly two weeks ago, water sports enthusiast could be back on Utah’s Lake Powell this weekend.
Utah is in the process of reopening five national parks using state money, after the government announced states could reopen their nationals parks if they came up with the funds.
Arizona officials were set to speak with Interior Department
staff Friday about a plan to reopen the Grand Canyon National Park, but the
state is balking at paying for a full reopening at a cost of $112,000 a day,
said a spokesman for Republican Gov. Jan Brewer.
Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Zion will be open in Utah by Saturday. Three other locations that will be opened are Natural Bridges and Cedar Breaks national monuments, as well as Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.
Antelope Point Marina is reopening Friday at noon and Lake Powell Marina is trying to get ready for Saturday.
Ally Isom, deputy chief of staff for Utah Gov. Gary Herbert, said Friday the office has wired $1.67 million to the federal government.
“By tomorrow major parks in the state of Utah are back in business. Then our congressional delegation will work to get the state reimbursed. The parks put staff on alert last night that this was coming and the gates are being unlocked,” Isom said.
Utah’s national parks pump $100 million into the economy each October.
“You don’t make up October in January, it’s now. We’re trying to restore a sense of economic stability to the communities hurt by the government shutdown,” Isom said.
The reopening of the parks is good news for Page, Ariz., which is the gateway to that area. The community has taken a financial hit since the shutdown.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development