Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was presented with the Army’s Distinguished Civilian Service Award on Thursday.
The ceremony was held at the Pentagon in Washington. Giffords was accompanied by her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly. U.S. Rep. Ron Barber, who initially won a special election to finish Giffords’ term, then won the seat outright, also was in attendance.
Under Secretary of the Army Joseph Westphal presented the award and noted, according to the Army website, Giffords’ support for Army funding in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The citation read in part: “Congresswoman Giffords’ patriotic and passionate service to our nation is in keeping with the highest traditions of public service and reflects great credit on her, the United States Congress and the United States of America.”
Barber spoke after the presentation, the site reported. “Gabby has inspired the nation with her courage, intrepid spirit and determination. Her courage has inspired more people than she’ll ever know, not just in this country, but worldwide,” he said.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again