PHOENIX — Arizona and 46 other states have reached a $30 million settlement against a national marketer accused of misleading customers into signing up for discount clubs and memberships.
Connecticut-based Affinion and its subsidiaries, Trilegiant and Webloyalty, offered numerous services from credit monitoring to discount travel. Those services were offered by well-known banks and retailers after a customer completed an online purchase.
“Affinion charged them for services without authorization or knowledge,” said Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne. “And when consumers learned they were being charged, some had trouble canceling or getting a refund.”
Affinion would send consumers a “live check” that, when cashed by a consumer, would enroll them in membership programs and bill them.
But that wasn’t the only way Affinion was pulling in members.
“There was an online data pass off where people were presented an Affinion offer immediately after an online purchase from a retailer,” said Horne. “Affinion was then able to enroll the consumer without acquiring any account information because the marketing partner would pass that information.”
In total, Affinion will have to pay out $30 million in fees and restitution. The company is setting up an account to return about $19 million to consumers.
Anyone who feels they were billed without permission by Affinion can file a claim with Horne’s office by clicking here. Complaints must be filed by Feb. 14.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets