PHOENIX — Arizona and 46 other states have reached a $30 million settlement against a national marketer accused of misleading customers into signing up for discount clubs and memberships.
Connecticut-based Affinion and its subsidiaries, Trilegiant and Webloyalty, offered numerous services from credit monitoring to discount travel. Those services were offered by well-known banks and retailers after a customer completed an online purchase.
“Affinion charged them for services without authorization or knowledge,” said Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne. “And when consumers learned they were being charged, some had trouble canceling or getting a refund.”
Affinion would send consumers a “live check” that, when cashed by a consumer, would enroll them in membership programs and bill them.
But that wasn’t the only way Affinion was pulling in members.
“There was an online data pass off where people were presented an Affinion offer immediately after an online purchase from a retailer,” said Horne. “Affinion was then able to enroll the consumer without acquiring any account information because the marketing partner would pass that information.”
In total, Affinion will have to pay out $30 million in fees and restitution. The company is setting up an account to return about $19 million to consumers.
Anyone who feels they were billed without permission by Affinion can file a claim with Horne’s office by clicking here. Complaints must be filed by Feb. 14.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America