YARNELL, Ariz. – It’s been three months since the Yarnell Hill Fire killed 19 firefighters and destroyed 127 buildings.
Now, Yarnell residents are trying to rebuild, and they need to raise money to do it.
“We get no funds from FEMA,” said Marina Rauh of the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group. “It’s because we’re too small. We didn’t have a big enough disaster. Not enough homes were burned, and we only had 12 uninsured homes, so we have to raise the money ourselves.”
The group is hoping to do just that by organizing tours of the town on Saturday, Oct. 19, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For $25 dollars, anyone can visit the six burned homes and the fire-damaged St. Joseph Shrine. The tours start at the Yarnell Community Center.
“There will be coffee and pastries, and we’ll give you a map to send you on your way,” Rauh said. “We also have two vans (to transport visitors), in case you don’t want to drive.”
Rauh says visitors won’t believe the damage.
“There’ll be two houses standing and one gone, and two gone and three standing,” said Rauh. “It’s just very odd and very capricious the way that fire went.”
Rauh did not say how much money is needed or how much the group expects to raise from the tours.
Reservations can be made by sending a check to the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group, P.O. Box 275, Yarnell, AZ 85362. Your name will be added to the will-call list, if you write “Home Tour” on the check’s memo line.
Visitors can call 1-928-427-6595 for more information.
Donations can also be made online at Yarnell Hill Recovery Group.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas