PHOENIX – A new study from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine
gives hope to post-menopausal women battling invasive breast cancer.
Findings from a study involving thousands of post-menopausal women suggest that women who develop invasive breast cancer may benefit from taking supplements containing both multivitamins and minerals.
The new research, published in “Breast Cancer Research and Treatment,” suggests the risk of dying from invasive breast cancer was 30 percent lower among multivitamin and mineral users, compared with nonusers.
“Our body needs the multivitamins and minerals for anti-oxidants and phytochemicals. They help build healthy cells, eliminate toxins [and] help prevent cancer,” said Lee Renda, Oncology Dietician for the University of Cancer Center at St. Joseph’s Hospital. “Anti-oxidants and phytochemicals are in fruits and vegetables, but they are also in multivitamins and minerals,” said Renda.
Renda says patients should look for a multivitamin that has 100 percent of the daily allowance or 100 percent of the daily values.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths