PHOENIX — A large fire was burning near the Loop 202 and McKellips Road in Mesa on Wednesday and will continue to do so through the weekend.
Mesa Fire Department spokesman Forrest Smith said the fire is burning over an
area the size of several football fields just off the Loop 202 freeway.
No injuries were reported, but the fire sent a large plume of black smoke into the Valley skies that was visible for miles.
Smith said the fire was consuming debris that had been dumped onto the roadside,
including old tires, tree stumps and wood chips, some piled up to 100 feet high.
Firefighters were working to keep the blaze away from the freeway
Wednesday afternoon as traffic slowed due to the thick smoke. About 60 tons of water were used on the blaze, but by Thursday it was deiced to let it burn itself out.
“It’s going to go for days. A fire like this being so green, so thick, so dense, it’s just going to need time,” Smith said.
“We want to let this free burn as much as we can where we can get oxygen into it, and let the fire do its thing and reduce all the material.”
Traffic cameras showed a backup on McKellips north of Loop 202. Several people appeared to have stopped along the shoulder to take photos or video.
As a result of the fire, the Arizona Department of Transportation closed both the westbound on-ramp to the Loop 202 at McKellips Road and the eastbound exit at McKellips. All ramp restrictions were lifted at 5:40 p.m.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America