PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix has rolled out a demonstration project to test new bike lanes along Grand Avenue that are designed to be easier to see for drivers.
The lanes — painted bright green and slightly widened — run on each side of the street along Grand Ave. between Seventh Avenue and Van Buren Street and 15th Avenue Roosevelt Street, said Matthey Heil, public information officer with the City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department.
“This is a very hard to miss bike lane,” he said. “It is almost lime green. You’ll also see a bicyclist graphic indicating it is a bike lane.”
The goal of the project is to get feedback from the public on whether they like the new bike lanes or if Phoenix bicyclists want some changes.
“It also lets us work toward implementing bicycle infrastructures at a lower cost,” Heil said.
The city is in the process of working on a city-wide master plan for bikes to get residents engaged and tell the city where they usually frequent on a bicycle.
As part of that master plan, the city has created an interactive map of the city where bicyclists can see where bike lanes already exist, what routes experience heavy and light traffic, and where bike barriers are in place. The wikimap allows bikers to communicate with the city and tell them what routes they usually take and where they’d like to ride if a bike lane existed.
Merchants and business owners along the Grand Avenue route hope to take advantage of increased bicyclist and pedestrian traffic with the new green bike lanes, said Heil.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier