PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix has rolled out a demonstration project to test new bike lanes along Grand Avenue that are designed to be easier to see for drivers.
The lanes — painted bright green and slightly widened — run on each side of the street along Grand Ave. between Seventh Avenue and Van Buren Street and 15th Avenue Roosevelt Street, said Matthey Heil, public information officer with the City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department.
“This is a very hard to miss bike lane,” he said. “It is almost lime green. You’ll also see a bicyclist graphic indicating it is a bike lane.”
The goal of the project is to get feedback from the public on whether they like the new bike lanes or if Phoenix bicyclists want some changes.
“It also lets us work toward implementing bicycle infrastructures at a lower cost,” Heil said.
The city is in the process of working on a city-wide master plan for bikes to get residents engaged and tell the city where they usually frequent on a bicycle.
As part of that master plan, the city has created an interactive map of the city where bicyclists can see where bike lanes already exist, what routes experience heavy and light traffic, and where bike barriers are in place. The wikimap allows bikers to communicate with the city and tell them what routes they usually take and where they’d like to ride if a bike lane existed.
Merchants and business owners along the Grand Avenue route hope to take advantage of increased bicyclist and pedestrian traffic with the new green bike lanes, said Heil.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon