PHOENIX — The Grand Canyon National Park is getting most of the attention in this government shutdown but the economy in Page, Ariz. is being crushed.
Lynette Davault with the Page Chamber of Commerce said Lake Powell is essentially a ghost lake. Both marinas are closed. They’ve let 500 workers go. No boats are on the lake.
“The rafting and river trips are shut down. All of the fishing guide trips are shut down. It’s affecting hotels, motels and restaurants in this area. You can’t get on the lake. No boats are being put on the lake and you get to the overpass to see the lake because it’s closed too.”
Tourism is the lifeblood for Page and the mom and pop shops were counting on a big October to carry them through the winter. Davault said there’s no other word for what’s happening. It’s devastating.
“One of our river tour companies has lost money for the first time in eight years and it’s due to the shutdown.”
Page is a gateway to the Grand Canyon in Arizona but also to Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah so it is truly in the crosshairs of the shutdown.
This trouble comes on the heels of a landslide earlier this year that took out a section of U.S. 89 just south of Page. It forced drivers into a lengthy detour to get to Lake Powell before ADOT completed a temporary detour around the damaged roadway.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns