PHOENIX — The Grand Canyon National Park is getting most of the attention in this government shutdown but the economy in Page, Ariz. is being crushed.
Lynette Davault with the Page Chamber of Commerce said Lake Powell is essentially a ghost lake. Both marinas are closed. They’ve let 500 workers go. No boats are on the lake.
“The rafting and river trips are shut down. All of the fishing guide trips are shut down. It’s affecting hotels, motels and restaurants in this area. You can’t get on the lake. No boats are being put on the lake and you get to the overpass to see the lake because it’s closed too.”
Tourism is the lifeblood for Page and the mom and pop shops were counting on a big October to carry them through the winter. Davault said there’s no other word for what’s happening. It’s devastating.
“One of our river tour companies has lost money for the first time in eight years and it’s due to the shutdown.”
Page is a gateway to the Grand Canyon in Arizona but also to Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah so it is truly in the crosshairs of the shutdown.
This trouble comes on the heels of a landslide earlier this year that took out a section of U.S. 89 just south of Page. It forced drivers into a lengthy detour to get to Lake Powell before ADOT completed a temporary detour around the damaged roadway.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night