PHOENIX — The Grand Canyon National Park is getting most of the attention in this government shutdown but the economy in Page, Ariz. is being crushed.
Lynette Davault with the Page Chamber of Commerce said Lake Powell is essentially a ghost lake. Both marinas are closed. They’ve let 500 workers go. No boats are on the lake.
“The rafting and river trips are shut down. All of the fishing guide trips are shut down. It’s affecting hotels, motels and restaurants in this area. You can’t get on the lake. No boats are being put on the lake and you get to the overpass to see the lake because it’s closed too.”
Tourism is the lifeblood for Page and the mom and pop shops were counting on a big October to carry them through the winter. Davault said there’s no other word for what’s happening. It’s devastating.
“One of our river tour companies has lost money for the first time in eight years and it’s due to the shutdown.”
Page is a gateway to the Grand Canyon in Arizona but also to Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah so it is truly in the crosshairs of the shutdown.
This trouble comes on the heels of a landslide earlier this year that took out a section of U.S. 89 just south of Page. It forced drivers into a lengthy detour to get to Lake Powell before ADOT completed a temporary detour around the damaged roadway.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy