PHOENIX — More than 10 people in Arizona have been sickened as a result of a salmonella outbreak at Foster Farms, the Arizona Department of Health said Tuesday.
“Our cases have had onset since the beginning of March through about Sept. 14.,” said Infections Diseases Epidemiology Program Manager Joli Weiss.
In total, 11 Arizonans were sickened as a result of the outbreak. Seven of the affected required hospitalization.
“For the most part, the folks have had symptoms like diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache,” said Weiss.
Of the infected, seven were in Maricopa County, two were in Pima County, one was in Pinal County and one was in Coconino County.
The victims included a child as young as 1 and a person aged 84 years.
“The positive thing here is that it is really preventable,” said Weiss. “Chicken products we know can contain salmonella, so really one of the best preventative measures is to cook your chicken thoroughly.”
Weiss said consumers should be sure to cook their chicken to at least 165 degrees, the temperature that kills salmonella.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier