PHOENIX — More than 10 people in Arizona have been sickened as a result of a salmonella outbreak at Foster Farms, the Arizona Department of Health said Tuesday.
“Our cases have had onset since the beginning of March through about Sept. 14.,” said Infections Diseases Epidemiology Program Manager Joli Weiss.
In total, 11 Arizonans were sickened as a result of the outbreak. Seven of the affected required hospitalization.
“For the most part, the folks have had symptoms like diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache,” said Weiss.
Of the infected, seven were in Maricopa County, two were in Pima County, one was in Pinal County and one was in Coconino County.
The victims included a child as young as 1 and a person aged 84 years.
“The positive thing here is that it is really preventable,” said Weiss. “Chicken products we know can contain salmonella, so really one of the best preventative measures is to cook your chicken thoroughly.”
Weiss said consumers should be sure to cook their chicken to at least 165 degrees, the temperature that kills salmonella.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night