PHOENIX — More than 10 people in Arizona have been sickened as a result of a salmonella outbreak at Foster Farms, the Arizona Department of Health said Tuesday.
“Our cases have had onset since the beginning of March through about Sept. 14.,” said Infections Diseases Epidemiology Program Manager Joli Weiss.
In total, 11 Arizonans were sickened as a result of the outbreak. Seven of the affected required hospitalization.
“For the most part, the folks have had symptoms like diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache,” said Weiss.
Of the infected, seven were in Maricopa County, two were in Pima County, one was in Pinal County and one was in Coconino County.
The victims included a child as young as 1 and a person aged 84 years.
“The positive thing here is that it is really preventable,” said Weiss. “Chicken products we know can contain salmonella, so really one of the best preventative measures is to cook your chicken thoroughly.”
Weiss said consumers should be sure to cook their chicken to at least 165 degrees, the temperature that kills salmonella.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development