PHOENIX — Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva was arrested Tuesday during an immigration demonstration.
According to Politico, the rally attracted hundreds of supporters and more than 10 members of Congress. The goal of the demonstration was to push an immigration reform bill in the House.
Grijalva was arrested for planned civil disobedience. He, along with about 200 others, were planning to block the street in front of the U.S. Capitol.
A Phoenix woman, Gina Sanchez, was also arrested as part of the rally. Sanchez is a business owner and mother of three. She claimed she had not seen her daughters in 14 years.
“I’m doing this to remind Congress there are millions of other people like me whose families suffer every day because of our immigration system,” Sanchez said in a press release. “I have a son who was born here, but because I must work here to support them and I cannot cross legally back and forth into the United States my family cannot be together. As much as I have suffered, I know my children have suffered more.”
Multiple other lawmakers were also arrested along with dozens of others, an immigration advocacy group said.
It is unknown if Grijalva or others arrested will face charges.
According to spokesman Adam Sarvana, Grijalva was released about 5 p.m. Arizona time.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night