PHOENIX — Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva was arrested Tuesday during an immigration demonstration.
According to Politico, the rally attracted hundreds of supporters and more than 10 members of Congress. The goal of the demonstration was to push an immigration reform bill in the House.
Grijalva was arrested for planned civil disobedience. He, along with about 200 others, were planning to block the street in front of the U.S. Capitol.
A Phoenix woman, Gina Sanchez, was also arrested as part of the rally. Sanchez is a business owner and mother of three. She claimed she had not seen her daughters in 14 years.
“I’m doing this to remind Congress there are millions of other people like me whose families suffer every day because of our immigration system,” Sanchez said in a press release. “I have a son who was born here, but because I must work here to support them and I cannot cross legally back and forth into the United States my family cannot be together. As much as I have suffered, I know my children have suffered more.”
Multiple other lawmakers were also arrested along with dozens of others, an immigration advocacy group said.
It is unknown if Grijalva or others arrested will face charges.
According to spokesman Adam Sarvana, Grijalva was released about 5 p.m. Arizona time.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development