PHOENIX – When called, they served. They are America’s lost service members and on Tuesday, they were finally honored.
For decades, the remains of 36 honorably discharged veterans were unclaimed, sitting inside the Messinger Mortuary in Scottsdale.
“They served in various branches of the service. World War I, World War II, and Korea and Vietnam,” said Paul Messinger, board chairman.
After trying for years to find their families, Messinger reached out to the Missing in America Project (MIAP), which makes sure all veterans have a proper burial.
“They signed a blank check up until death,” said Clyde Davis, head of the Northern Arizona MIAP. “And for them to be sitting on a shelf forgotten is totally wrong. And we’re here to see that never happens again.”
Messinger and Davis helped escort the 36 urns from the Scottsdale mortuary to the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona in Phoenix. Once there, the veterans received full military honors before their interment.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.