PHOENIX – When called, they served. They are America’s lost service members and on Tuesday, they were finally honored.
For decades, the remains of 36 honorably discharged veterans were unclaimed, sitting inside the Messinger Mortuary in Scottsdale.
“They served in various branches of the service. World War I, World War II, and Korea and Vietnam,” said Paul Messinger, board chairman.
After trying for years to find their families, Messinger reached out to the Missing in America Project (MIAP), which makes sure all veterans have a proper burial.
“They signed a blank check up until death,” said Clyde Davis, head of the Northern Arizona MIAP. “And for them to be sitting on a shelf forgotten is totally wrong. And we’re here to see that never happens again.”
Messinger and Davis helped escort the 36 urns from the Scottsdale mortuary to the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona in Phoenix. Once there, the veterans received full military honors before their interment.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development