PHOENIX — Arizona is in for a big cool down alter this week when a powerful Canadian storm blows into the state.
The storm is expected to arrive Thursday. Flagstaff could see its first snowfall of the year while the Valley will see a high of only 75 or less and a slight chance of rain.
Hector Vasquez with the National Weather Service said this is a very cold storm coming right out of western Canada in the Vancouver, B.C. area.
“We were hoping it would swing offshore and pick up more Pacific Ocean moisture but it is staying inland across California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington and finally hits Arizona Thursday morning,” he said. “Our precipitation won’t be as heavy and it will mostly be in the Flagstaff region where snow levels could drop to 6,500 to 7,000 feet.”
Vasquez said the real issue with this storm will be strong winds with gusts of 55 miles per hour in the high country, and 40 mph in the Valley beginning Wednesday.
“It hasn’t rained in sometime so we can expect blowing dust and drivers can expect visibilities of a mile or less.”
Vasquez said the Interstate 10 corridor between the Valley and Casa Grande is one of the areas of concern for blowing dust.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night