PHOENIX — Arizona is in for a big cool down alter this week when a powerful Canadian storm blows into the state.
The storm is expected to arrive Thursday. Flagstaff could see its first snowfall of the year while the Valley will see a high of only 75 or less and a slight chance of rain.
Hector Vasquez with the National Weather Service said this is a very cold storm coming right out of western Canada in the Vancouver, B.C. area.
“We were hoping it would swing offshore and pick up more Pacific Ocean moisture but it is staying inland across California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington and finally hits Arizona Thursday morning,” he said. “Our precipitation won’t be as heavy and it will mostly be in the Flagstaff region where snow levels could drop to 6,500 to 7,000 feet.”
Vasquez said the real issue with this storm will be strong winds with gusts of 55 miles per hour in the high country, and 40 mph in the Valley beginning Wednesday.
“It hasn’t rained in sometime so we can expect blowing dust and drivers can expect visibilities of a mile or less.”
Vasquez said the Interstate 10 corridor between the Valley and Casa Grande is one of the areas of concern for blowing dust.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas