MESA, Ariz. — Authorities say a teenage girl could be facing criminal
charges after giving birth and then leaving the newborn outside an
east Mesa home.
Maricopa County Sheriff’s officials said the baby girl was taken to a hospital
with a possible skull fracture.
Deputies were called to the home Sunday afternoon when the 16-year-old
girl reported giving birth.
Family members told police that they found the placenta, but couldn’t locate
After about 30 minutes of searching deputies found the baby outside the home in a shed, awake and with vital signs.
Authorities said the unidentified mother could have dropped the infant off at a
nearby hospital or fire station under Arizona’s “safe havens” law.
The 2001 law allows anyone to anonymously drop off unharmed infants within 72
hours of their birth.
Both the mother and baby are expected to recover.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck