MESA, Ariz. — Authorities say a teenage girl could be facing criminal
charges after giving birth and then leaving the newborn outside an
east Mesa home.
Maricopa County Sheriff’s officials said the baby girl was taken to a hospital
with a possible skull fracture.
Deputies were called to the home Sunday afternoon when the 16-year-old
girl reported giving birth.
Family members told police that they found the placenta, but couldn’t locate
After about 30 minutes of searching deputies found the baby outside the home in a shed, awake and with vital signs.
Authorities said the unidentified mother could have dropped the infant off at a
nearby hospital or fire station under Arizona’s “safe havens” law.
The 2001 law allows anyone to anonymously drop off unharmed infants within 72
hours of their birth.
Both the mother and baby are expected to recover.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development