PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer ordered the Arizona Department of Economic Services on Monday to transfer $650,000 of its budget to support a federal program for needy families that has been closed because of the government shutdown.
The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families has not received funding since the federal government shutdown more than one week ago.
“Since the initial threat of a federal government shutdown, my primary concern has been how critical federal programs aimed at assisting Arizona’s most vulnerable families would be impacted, and whether the state could afford the costs to cover until the deadlock in DC ended,” Brewer said in a press release. “I have instructed DES to redirect funds to cover the remaining TANF beneficiaries who did not already receive a monthly benefit through the end of October, so that more than 3,000 needy and low-income Arizona families continue to receive their much-needed cash assistance.”
About 13,300 families — 80 percent of those on the program — had received their monthly check before the shutdown. About 3,200 families did not.
Should the shutdown continue until November, Brewer said Arizona’s needy will be greatly affected.
“If the federal government remains at a stalemate come November, Arizona may be faced with catastrophic budgetary challenges and choices as we figure out how to salvage TANF and other critical programs. The failure of leadership in Washington is placing a heavy burden on our state, our core services and our citizens most in-need.”
Arizona is one of 11 states that relies solely on federal funds to pay for the program.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food