PHOENIX – Thanks to a federal grant, Phoenix police expect to hire 15 new school resource officers.
They’ll be working in elementary and high schools starting next school year. Currently, Phoenix has 68 officers and four sergeants serving 18 school districts.
After last year’s shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut, Phoenix police created a school safety program. It allows schools that currently have no resource officers to hire off-duty officers that are specially trained in safety procedures. The program also calls for patrol officers to spend 30 minutes a week in or around schools in their beat areas as time allows.
According to a report prepared for the city council, police have also been conducting campus inspections and providing safety recommendations. As of early September, police say they have inspected 115 schools.
The department also established a committee of police and security professionals to encourage schools to have an emergency response plan. New training protocols have also been developed relating to school violence.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food