PHOENIX – Thanks to a federal grant, Phoenix police expect to hire 15 new school resource officers.
They’ll be working in elementary and high schools starting next school year. Currently, Phoenix has 68 officers and four sergeants serving 18 school districts.
After last year’s shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut, Phoenix police created a school safety program. It allows schools that currently have no resource officers to hire off-duty officers that are specially trained in safety procedures. The program also calls for patrol officers to spend 30 minutes a week in or around schools in their beat areas as time allows.
According to a report prepared for the city council, police have also been conducting campus inspections and providing safety recommendations. As of early September, police say they have inspected 115 schools.
The department also established a committee of police and security professionals to encourage schools to have an emergency response plan. New training protocols have also been developed relating to school violence.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier