PHOENIX – Thanks to a federal grant, Phoenix police expect to hire 15 new school resource officers.
They’ll be working in elementary and high schools starting next school year. Currently, Phoenix has 68 officers and four sergeants serving 18 school districts.
After last year’s shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut, Phoenix police created a school safety program. It allows schools that currently have no resource officers to hire off-duty officers that are specially trained in safety procedures. The program also calls for patrol officers to spend 30 minutes a week in or around schools in their beat areas as time allows.
According to a report prepared for the city council, police have also been conducting campus inspections and providing safety recommendations. As of early September, police say they have inspected 115 schools.
The department also established a committee of police and security professionals to encourage schools to have an emergency response plan. New training protocols have also been developed relating to school violence.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night