PHOENIX — Arizona’s fall elk rifle hunting season just began but hunters are finding some new challenges because of the government shutdown.
Steve Clark with the Arizona Elk Society said hunters can still get into Bureau of Land Management and United States Forest Service land, but finding a place to camp is a bit of work.
“Some of the guys who use developed campgrounds are having issues,” he said.
Those campgrounds have been closed because of the shutdown.
Clark said hunting is not permitted on National Park Service land and closure of roads is making it difficult for some hunters to get into their favorite spots.
“Park Service land is locked up. Cones are up and you can’t get past the gates.”
And in some cases, the closures will put a strain on hunters because they will have to pack their elk out at a greater distance than they would usually have to do during hunting season.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths