PHOENIX — Arizona’s fall elk rifle hunting season just began but hunters are finding some new challenges because of the government shutdown.
Steve Clark with the Arizona Elk Society said hunters can still get into Bureau of Land Management and United States Forest Service land, but finding a place to camp is a bit of work.
“Some of the guys who use developed campgrounds are having issues,” he said.
Those campgrounds have been closed because of the shutdown.
Clark said hunting is not permitted on National Park Service land and closure of roads is making it difficult for some hunters to get into their favorite spots.
“Park Service land is locked up. Cones are up and you can’t get past the gates.”
And in some cases, the closures will put a strain on hunters because they will have to pack their elk out at a greater distance than they would usually have to do during hunting season.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night