PHOENIX — Hundreds of international visitors have been planning trips to the Grand Canyon for years only to be disappointed by the park being closed because of the government shutdown.
However, Las Vegas-based tour company Best American Destinations is making sure those visitors can see at least part of the canyon.
Grand Canyon West is tribal land and it’s still open despite the government shutdown. Allison Raskansky said her company is offering day trips by bus, Hummer and aircraft out of Las Vegas, Sedona and the Valley. Helicopter tours of Grand Canyon West are available, and they’re even offering rafting trips on the Colorado River until the end of October.
“It is the only one-day whitewater rafting trip you can take at this point because the shutdown eliminated rafting trips on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon National Park,” she said. “There’s also tribal dwellings you can tour, hiking, live Native American performances. There’s a lot of activity out there.”
Tourists can also book tours to the Grand Canyon Skywalk, a horseshoe-shaped glass bridge which extends over the canyon wall about 4,000 feet above the Colorado riverbed.
Raskansky said demand has increased so much that the company is now recommending travelers book a reservation.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them