PHOENIX — Hundreds of international visitors have been planning trips to the Grand Canyon for years only to be disappointed by the park being closed because of the government shutdown.
However, Las Vegas-based tour company Best American Destinations is making sure those visitors can see at least part of the canyon.
Grand Canyon West is tribal land and it’s still open despite the government shutdown. Allison Raskansky said her company is offering day trips by bus, Hummer and aircraft out of Las Vegas, Sedona and the Valley. Helicopter tours of Grand Canyon West are available, and they’re even offering rafting trips on the Colorado River until the end of October.
“It is the only one-day whitewater rafting trip you can take at this point because the shutdown eliminated rafting trips on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon National Park,” she said. “There’s also tribal dwellings you can tour, hiking, live Native American performances. There’s a lot of activity out there.”
Tourists can also book tours to the Grand Canyon Skywalk, a horseshoe-shaped glass bridge which extends over the canyon wall about 4,000 feet above the Colorado riverbed.
Raskansky said demand has increased so much that the company is now recommending travelers book a reservation.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas