PHOENIX — St. Mary’s Food Bank announced Monday that it would be sending emergency food relief to Grand Canyon National Park employees affected by the partial government shutdown.
Food for the more than 2,200 park employees and an additional 1,200 hospitality workers affected by the shutdown will arrive in the area on Tuesday.
“The park closure has been devastating for the employees of Grand Canyon National Park and surrounding communities,” Rev. Patrick Dotson, pastor of Grand Canyon Community Church, said in a press release. “While local concessionaires are supporting their furloughed employees and their families by providing free rent and limited meal support, we anticipated a great need for food relief outside of our ability to sustain through local food donations.”
The food bank is sending more than 600 food boxes to the community. They will be available for pick-up between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the Tusayan Fire Station on Tuesday and Wednesday. The boxes can also be picked up between 4:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Tuesday and 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Maswick Lodge Cafeteria.
St. Mary’s is also planning a fresh food delivery in the area on Friday at the Backcountry Office from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again