PHOENIX — Flu season is back in the Valley. The Arizona Department of Health Services said Monday that the first flu case of 2013 has been confirmed.
A child who was not vaccinated was diagnosed with influenza B. The child was not hospitalized.
Officials said the first diagnosis is a reminder for everyone, especially those susceptible to illness, to get a flu shot.
“We just don’t know yet which strain will dominate this season or how bad it will be,” Dr. Bob England, director of the Maricopa County Department of Public Health, said in a press release. “But we do know that the best way to protect ourselves and those around us is to get our flu vaccine.”
In 2012, Arizona labs confirmed more than 11,000 cases of the flu with more than 5,600 of those cases being in Maricopa County. Four children died of flu-related causes.
“These numbers represent only the tip of the iceberg. There are actually thousands more cases that never get reported to Public Health because they don’t see a doctor or get diagnosed” said England.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes