PHOENIX — A national tour of decorated military veterans will be hosting events around the Valley on Monday and Tuesday, all part of an effort to get local veterans involved in issues that affect them.
For three weeks, The Defend Freedom Veterans Bus Tour is traveling across a dozen states from Nevada to the East Coast providing a platform for U.S. military veterans, their families, and the public. The goal is to encourage veterans to become more active in policy-making.
“It’s about honoring the service of veterans, talking about how they can still defend freedom here at home and then compelling them to take action,” said Pete Hegseth, CEO of Concerned Veterans for America, the organization sponsoring the tour.
“It’s not enough to talk or debate or discuss,” said Hegseth. “We’ve got to get involved in the process of fighting for our country and the freedom and prosperity that make it great.”
Issues to be discussed include registering to vote and reforming the Department of Veterans Affairs, particularly the 500,000 backlog of veterans’ benefit claims. The group also discusses reforming Pentagon spending and tackling the national debt, which they say is both an economic and security threat.
Among those speaking on the tour is Lt. Col. Steve Russell, who led the battalion involved in capturing Saddam Hussein in 2003.
The group will be at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill, located in the Mesa Riverview shopping center, from 5-9:30 p.m. on Monday.
For more information on the Defend Freedom Veterans Bus Tour, visit their website.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America