PHOENIX — A national tour of decorated military veterans will be hosting events around the Valley on Monday and Tuesday, all part of an effort to get local veterans involved in issues that affect them.
For three weeks, The Defend Freedom Veterans Bus Tour is traveling across a dozen states from Nevada to the East Coast providing a platform for U.S. military veterans, their families, and the public. The goal is to encourage veterans to become more active in policy-making.
“It’s about honoring the service of veterans, talking about how they can still defend freedom here at home and then compelling them to take action,” said Pete Hegseth, CEO of Concerned Veterans for America, the organization sponsoring the tour.
“It’s not enough to talk or debate or discuss,” said Hegseth. “We’ve got to get involved in the process of fighting for our country and the freedom and prosperity that make it great.”
Issues to be discussed include registering to vote and reforming the Department of Veterans Affairs, particularly the 500,000 backlog of veterans’ benefit claims. The group also discusses reforming Pentagon spending and tackling the national debt, which they say is both an economic and security threat.
Among those speaking on the tour is Lt. Col. Steve Russell, who led the battalion involved in capturing Saddam Hussein in 2003.
The group will be at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill, located in the Mesa Riverview shopping center, from 5-9:30 p.m. on Monday.
For more information on the Defend Freedom Veterans Bus Tour, visit their website.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy