PHOENIX — Phoenix city leaders set a goal to divert 40 percent of waste by 2020. At present, the city’s diversion rate is 16 percent.
To meet its goal, Phoenix’s Public Works Department is proposing big changes, including a Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) System. People would pay less for using smaller 60-gallon trash containers instead of the traditional 90-gallon containers.
In a report to the city manager, the Public Works director also calls for expanding collection of green organics like grass, tree clippings and brush. Currently, curbside green organics collection is only available in select areas.
The report also calls for replacing the quarterly bulk trash collection with an on-call program that would let residents request two bulk trash pickups per year. The final change requested includes increased community education and outreach.
The changes could boost the city’s diversion rate to 22-27 percent. City council members could be asked to approve the changes by as early as next year.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food