PHOENIX — Phoenix city leaders set a goal to divert 40 percent of waste by 2020. At present, the city’s diversion rate is 16 percent.
To meet its goal, Phoenix’s Public Works Department is proposing big changes, including a Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) System. People would pay less for using smaller 60-gallon trash containers instead of the traditional 90-gallon containers.
In a report to the city manager, the Public Works director also calls for expanding collection of green organics like grass, tree clippings and brush. Currently, curbside green organics collection is only available in select areas.
The report also calls for replacing the quarterly bulk trash collection with an on-call program that would let residents request two bulk trash pickups per year. The final change requested includes increased community education and outreach.
The changes could boost the city’s diversion rate to 22-27 percent. City council members could be asked to approve the changes by as early as next year.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development