PHOENIX — Phoenix city leaders set a goal to divert 40 percent of waste by 2020. At present, the city’s diversion rate is 16 percent.
To meet its goal, Phoenix’s Public Works Department is proposing big changes, including a Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) System. People would pay less for using smaller 60-gallon trash containers instead of the traditional 90-gallon containers.
In a report to the city manager, the Public Works director also calls for expanding collection of green organics like grass, tree clippings and brush. Currently, curbside green organics collection is only available in select areas.
The report also calls for replacing the quarterly bulk trash collection with an on-call program that would let residents request two bulk trash pickups per year. The final change requested includes increased community education and outreach.
The changes could boost the city’s diversion rate to 22-27 percent. City council members could be asked to approve the changes by as early as next year.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.