TUSAYAN, Ariz. — Businesses and residents frustrated over the ongoing federal shutdown plan to protest near the Grand Canyon on Tuesday.
According to organizers, businesses and employees in Northern Arizona are suffering because the federal government has turned down offers of financial assistance from South Rim business owners, the state of Arizona and the town Tusayan. Those funds would have partially opened the Grand Canyon National Park during the government shutdown.
Tusayan voted to appropriate more than $200,000 to fund the partial opening. Local businesses pledged another $150,000.
Last week, Gov. Jan Brewer’s office called Grand Canyon Park Superintendent Dave Uberuaga and offered to find a way to pay for the park, but he rejected the offer.
The protesters will gather at 1 p.m. Tuesday south of the Grand Canyon’s South Rim entrance gates.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas