TUSAYAN, Ariz. — Businesses and residents frustrated over the ongoing federal shutdown plan to protest near the Grand Canyon on Tuesday.
According to organizers, businesses and employees in Northern Arizona are suffering because the federal government has turned down offers of financial assistance from South Rim business owners, the state of Arizona and the town Tusayan. Those funds would have partially opened the Grand Canyon National Park during the government shutdown.
Tusayan voted to appropriate more than $200,000 to fund the partial opening. Local businesses pledged another $150,000.
Last week, Gov. Jan Brewer’s office called Grand Canyon Park Superintendent Dave Uberuaga and offered to find a way to pay for the park, but he rejected the offer.
The protesters will gather at 1 p.m. Tuesday south of the Grand Canyon’s South Rim entrance gates.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them